Anna Sulan Masing, host of Whetstone Radio's Taste of Place podcast cooks her way through Mandy Yin's incredible Sarawak Chicken recipe
- Marinate 6 skinless chicken thighs, with the bone-in just with salt, leave for 1/2hour on the kitchen bench to get it to room temperature
- Blitz up spice paste: 200g roughly chopped onion, 2 garlic cloves, 2.5cm of ginger root, 2 stalks of lemongrass also roughly chopped
- Toast 1tsp of black peppercorns, and 1 tsp of white peppercorns - choose any good quality peppercorns. This is done on a very low heat, without oil until fragrant. Then, grind it into a fine powder ideally in a mortar & pestle
- In a medium sized saucepan slowly get 3 tbsp of oil warm, then add in the pepper powder and the spice paste. Fry off until the oil splits - no longer than 10mins
- Add in the chicken, 450g (1lb) of roughly chopped tomatoes, 300mls of water, 5 laksa leaves (or a bunch of mint) with stalks. Bring to boil then let simmer for 20min. Keep an eye on it and stirr at regular intervals.
- Add in 100mls of coconut milk, stir and cook for another 5mins
- Serve with rice!
Is there a recipe you'd like to hear us make? Tell us all about it at firstname.lastname@example.org!
Lobby Time Kevin MacLeod (incompetech.com)
Licensed under Creative Commons: By Attribution 3.0