Rezarta Mataj had already achieved a great deal in her career at a young age — a federal judge by the age of 24, a lovely family soon after, and the accolades to be an adjunct professor at public and private law schools all across Albania. There was one caveat, however; she couldn’t rid herself of the thought that she’d be able to build a better life for herself and her family in the U.S. Rezarta took a leap of faith, and the future she envisioned has started to take shape. Arizona State University gave her a chance, and she’s well on her way to reclaiming everything she once had and more.
- 02:56 - Rezarta speaks on the beauty of Albania, what it means to be Albanian and her recent trip back to her home country.
- 05:25 - Rezarta explains her decision to move to the U.S. for a better life and mentions a little-known program called the “DV Lottery.”
- 10:41 - How did Rezarta handle going from a successful law career to once again being a student in the U.S.?
- 15:09 - Fundamentally, how does law differ between the U.S. and Albania?
- 17:25 - What drew Rezarta to the intellectual property sector of law?
- 20:16 - Rezarta speaks on a memorable case pertaining to the French dictionary.
- 22:52 - With court cases demanding keen attention to detail, Rezarta explains the importance of making every word count — and the challenge of doing so in a new language.
- 24:48 - What are the tips Rezarta would give friends, family, or students looking to come to the U.S.?
- 28:26 - Rezarta reflects on her past where you had to bribe your way to where you wanted to be.
- 29:21 - What’s Rezarta’s secret dream? (Hint: she’s already done it.)
- 30:22 - What has Arizona State University meant to Rezarta, and how did they help her on her journey?
- 34:04 - What are Rezarta’s favorite slang words in American and in Albanian?
- 36:52 - Rezarta shares her husband's dream to be a soccer referee and how you can support their future endeavors.
Arizona State University Global Launch
Common Law vs. Civil Law
Networking 101: Making Connections in College
American Slang Words You Need to Know
Connect With Us
Find our Podcasts here