When people think about nuclear, they often think about nuclear waste, or by-products. But when it comes to nuclear by-products, myths are more common than facts.
On a mission to set the record straight, host Osama Baig is joined by two nuclear by-product experts: Nuala Zietsma from Ontario Power Generation and Erik Kremer from the Nuclear Waste Management Organization.
- Learn about the different types of radiation [3:10]
- The categories of nuclear by-products [6:20]
- What fuel bundles look like and how long they last [8:20]
- The amount of nuclear waste in Canada [10:20]
- How nuclear by-products and used nuclear fuel are stored safely [12:00]
- How OPG is prioritizing waste minimization [14:30]
- How nuclear by-products compare to those of other energy sources [16:00]
- Canada’s long-term storage plan for spent nuclear fuel [20:10]
- The international best practice known as Deep Geological Repository [21:43]