In this episode Todd and Peter dive a bit into sleep… its purpose, utility, restorative powers as well as learned tips, and tricks to get more and of better quality. As sometimes happens, our conversation wanders this way and that, but mostly related (this time) to the topic.
- Lead with gratitude, helps disarm overwhelm.
- It is often difficult to get a good night’s sleep with newborns in proximity.
- If you consistently disregard sleep, its loss will appear in numerous places.
- R.E.M. = Rapid Eye Movement (not just an American rock band – see below).
- It is more common than you might think, getting hooked/dependent on sleep masks.
Peters 10 tips for better sleep…
- Treat sleep like medicine needed to maintain health.
- Pre-bedtime routine is key to success.
- Stay away from and/or block blue light.
- The darker the room, the better the quality of sleep.
- 60-67 degrees (F) is the optimal sleeping temperature.
- Try to keep from eating 2-3 hours before bed.
- Keep your bed(room) a dedicated space for sleeping, purposefully.
- Those who exercise on a regular basis, tend to have better sleep… this can be overdone.
- Calm the mind and the body for solid sleep.
Mental habit / action / tool examples:
- Sleep and hydration are the two biggest things we need to operate well.
- Mileage may vary by individual, on what actions will help achieve harmony in sleep.
- As sleepy time nears, you’ll get more effective sleep the longer it has been since you’ve peered into a device or screen.
- Alcohol inhibits deeper cycles of sleep.
- Breathing/meditative techniques can help calm the mind and body for sleep.
- It’s been said that when counting sheep to get back to sleep, imagining them atop snowboards doing park tricks works wonders.
- Sleep supplements can assist with making humans sleepy, again mileage varies.
- "Trying to get my life from being overwhelmed, to just whemled.”
- “Moderation is for cowards, so let’s just go all in.”
Send in a voice message: https://anchor.fm/peter-driscoll/message