UK-based Australian composer, artist, and writer/broadcaster Julian day talks about reconsidering classical music traditions, interactive music and his studies overseas.
Julian Day treats sound as a powerful socio-political agent. Since 2007 they have co-facilitated Super Critical Mass, a radically inclusive orchestra project in which temporary communities of untrained participants develop sonic actions in civic spaces, drawing on aspects of emergence and game theory.
Julian Day: https://www.julianday.com/
– Discussed in this episode –
• ABC Classic FM: https://www.abc.net.au/classic/
• Music Australia: https://musicaustralia.org.au/
• Marco Fusinato: http://marcofusinato.com/
• La Biennale di Venezia (Venice Bienale): https://www.labiennale.org/en
• Elegy: https://ensembleoffspring.com/event/o4a-elegy/
• Louis Andriessen: https://www.boosey.com/composer/Louis+Andriessen
• Super Critical Mass: https://www.supercriticalmass.com/
• Damian Barbeler: https://www.australianmusiccentre.com.au/artist/barbeler-damian
• Music After the Fall: Modern Composition and Culture Since 1989 – Tim Rutherford-Johnson: https://johnsonsrambler.wordpress.com/music-after-the-fall/
• David Lang: https://davidlangmusic.com/
• Sticky Notes: https://ensembleoffspring.com/event/sticky-notes/2022-03-15/
• Ciaran Frame: http://www.ciaranframe.com/
• Game On: https://ensembleoffspring.com/event/game-on-backstage/
• Institute of Modern Art, Brisbane: https://ima.org.au/
• La Monte Young: https://www.melafoundation.org/lmy.htm
• Phillip Glass: https://philipglass.com/
Opening music: Heaven Only Empty (2014) – Damien Ricketson
Closing music: Light for the First Time (2017) – Bree van Reyk
The Offcast is hosted by Claire Edwardes OAM, and produced and edited by Ben Robinson.
Ensemble Offspring: https://ensembleoffspring.com/