David Neustein is a co-director of Other Architects, a small research-driven practice he and his partner Grace Mortlock founded in 2012. Other Architects received the 2021 Houses Award for Emerging Architecture Practice, the 2018 INDE Prodigy award for most promising design practice in the Asia-Pacific region, and their work has been exhibited around the world.
In this episode, David and I discussed:
- How the studio has used speculative or unsolicited projects to establish themselves as leaders in interesting and unexpected niches such as cemeteries.
- Why David believes that some of the most valuable ideas, solutions and techniques can often be found in the work of small practices outside Australia, and why connecting with the international architecture community can become a meaningful point of difference in the local market.
- How the studio has developed a clear sense of what they’re about (or not about) as a brand, and how this process of self-reflection has helped them to focus their message, generate clearer ideas, decide on the right projects to focus on, and communicate their ideas with confidence.
If you’d like to learn more about Other Architects, you can visit otherarchitects.com. You can also follow the studio on Instagram @otherarchitects.
Office Talk is hosted by Dave Sharp, M.Arch—an architectural marketing expert and the director of Office D.SHARP, a practice providing specialised consultancy, marketing and PR services tailored to meet the particular needs of architects. Working as a sole practitioner, Dave employs a collaborative, conversational approach to his work, fostering long-standing relationships that yield tangible results for clients.
Visit officedavesharp.com to learn more, or email firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to get in touch.
This episode was supported by our legendary sponsors.
- ArchiPro showcases the best and latest in the architecture and building industry, and connects people with trusted trade professionals and products to suit their needs. Visit ArchiPro.com.au to learn more.
- Mast Furniture is an established furniture design and manufacturing company based in Brisbane. In operation for 10+ years, Mast has built a national and international reputation for producing high quality, technically challenging furniture. Visit mastfurniture.com.au to learn more.