- Matthew 3:13-17; Matthew 28:19-20
- Col. 2:11-12
- Genesis 15:6
- Baptism isn't about your personal holiness, it’s about God’s purpose for us.
- For John, it was a recognition that his role was to point to Jesus.
- For Jesus, it was a demonstration of God’s purpose for him, and the start of his earthly ministry.
- Through His own baptism, Jesus was declaring God’s claim on His life and purpose.
- Faith (or trusting God), is the first step to walking in our God-given purpose.
- The point of baptism isn’t that we are declaring our self-righteousness, it’s declaring that we want to change. We are publicly declaring God’s claim on our life and purpose.
- A disciple is baptized and finds their identity in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Spirit. Or kingdom identity - Family Servant and Missionary.
- The Father gives us our family identity. We get to treat everyone like family.
- Jesus gives us our servant identity. Saved people, serve people.
- The Spirit gives us our missionary identity. Found people, find people.
- The Holy Spirit is every much God as the Father and Son, but He has a different role. He is personal, present, and powerful.
- God is a missionary. God and the Holy Spirit is the actively growing the kingdom by reaching more and more people with the gospel of Jesus.
- Do you think God has a purpose for your life like He did for John the Baptist and Jesus? What do you think it is?
- If you believe God has a purpose for you to live in to, how might that impact your day to day living?