Feb 11 2023
Renee Vara, Vara Art; J. Rich Leonard, Campbell Law - Who Wrote That Up For You? Feb. 10, 2023
Renee Vara is the founder of Vara Arts, which provides appraiser and advisory services for creatives. She discussed the use of the Visual Artists Rights Act (VARA) to protect artists whose works are threatened by traditional property rights, including a famous case where a commercial property development sought to destroy several murals in New York City. Renee advised artists in these situations to seek legal counsel but also to pursue mediation to recover the reasonable commercial value of their works.
– Connect on Twitter: https://twitter.com/VaraArt
– Connect on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/varaart
– Connect on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/varaart/
– Connect on LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/reneevara/
– Visit the website: https://www.varaart.com/
J. Rich Leonard is the dean of the Norman Adrian Wiggins School of Law at Campbell University in Raleigh, North Carolina. Dean Leonard described the work of Campbell Law's numerous pro bono clinics, including a partnership with the City of Raleigh to mitigate evictions and arbitration services provided to Wake County and local municipalities to resolve discrimination complaints out of court. He also discussed his new book, "From Welcome to Windhoek: A Judge's Journey," charting the journey from his hometown of Welcome, North Carolina to consulting with judiciaries in southern Africa.
– Connect on LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/rich-leonard-abb6959a/
– Visit the faculty profile: https://law.campbell.edu/about/our-school/our-dean/
For more on the need to fix U.S. courts, subscribe to "Who Wrote That Up For You?" wherever you listen to podcasts. If you're in court without a lawyer, visit courtroom5.com to get access to justice today.
Send in a voice message: https://podcasters.spotify.com/pod/show/courtroom5/message