No matter how carefully you choose your words or how cautiously you weigh a decision, there will always be people who question or criticize your choice. What's the best way to handle those negative comments when we hear them?
Sometimes the comments come from strangers. Maybe an internet troll lambasts you anonymously on Instagram. Or a cashier voices a negative opinion on homeschooling when she sees you out with your children in the middle of a school day. Or a man on the street questions your sanity for having so many children.
Large families draw curious -- and sometimes crass -- comments like honey draws flies. It's one thing when such barbs come from complete strangers. It's a little harder to handle when the criticisms come from family and friends.
Yet, there is a gracious and God-honoring way to handle the negativism others try to lob at us. And that's the topic of Episode 9 of Loving Life at Home. Listen in, then drop a comment below and tell me about the strangest, rudest, or most common question you've been asked and how you typically answer.VERSES CITIED
- "But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Christ may be ashamed of their slander." - 1 Peter 3:15-16, NIV
- "So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets." - Matthew 7:12, NIV
- "But I say to you who hear, love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who are abusive to you." - Luke 5:27-28, NASB
- "Do not repay evil with evil or insult with insult. On the contrary, repay evil with blessing, because to this you were called so that you may inherit a blessing." - 1 Peter 3:9, NIVRESOURCES MENTIONED
- LL #2 - Dealing with Difficult In-laws (extra help with handling negative family members)
- Frequently Asked Questions (a few of the inquiries we hear most often)
- When Strangers Count our Kids and Ask Us If We're Done (our interview with Al Jazeera)
- 5 Tips for Responding to Negativism (the original blog post upon which this episode is based)STAY CONNECTED
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/flanders_family/
- Marriage Blog: Loving Life at Home
- Family Blog: Flanders Family Home Life (lots of printables!)
- Subscribe: Flanders Family Freebies (weekly newsletter)