In this episode of Associations Thrive, host Joanna Pineda interviews John Segota, Executive Director of the National Association for Gifted Children (NAGC). John introduces NAGC, talks about his journey to becoming Executive Director of NAGC, and how NAGC membership is increasing after a steady decline in the past few years. John discusses:
- How he became interested in the nonprofit sector.
- How he nailed the interview and became Executive Director of NAGC.
- How NAGC had to provide support to their members really fast during the pandemic.
- NAGC’s virtual and hybrid conference strategy, including a new virtual event in the Spring.
- NAGC’s commitment to DEI in the membership and among students in gifted programs.
- A new virtual National Symposium on Equity for Black and Brown Gifted Students.
- NAGC’s new LEAP program, a professional development framework for members.
- The association’s State of the States in Gifted Education report.
- Ongoing changes to NAGC’s governance.
- How John is a self-described governance geek.