The trucking industry presents many great opportunities but also its share of unique challenges. Miguel Lopez is the owner of MIK Freight and is the Co-CEO of Naranja Pina LLC an ice cream shop in Miami in his spare time. Prepare to learn about the importance of processes in your business, how to strengthen your company’s culture, and growing sustainably.
- While the goal might always be to grow your company, you need to put in place step-by-step processes for your team to follow in order to grow.
- In order to build the processes for your company, you need to have intimate knowledge of everything that goes into completing a task. The best way to do this is to actually go out in the field and observe your team working on the task.
- To strengthen your company’s culture, consider what events and outings you can plan for the entire team to take part in to relax and get to know each other better.
- For some industries, planning and forecasting must be updated on a rapid basis due to factors that fluctuate wildly. For example, in logistics and shipping, the price of fuel is a very important factor when deciding to take a shipment or not, and what to charge.
- Your company should prioritize creating great relationships between your customers, your team, contractors, and anyone else that might come in contact with the company.
- You should be developing your team and supporting their growth and learning, even if this means they will “outgrow the nest”. If you set your employees up for success, not only will they learn and excel in the business but they will also appreciate the support.
- Be conscious of your company’s ability to maintain its level of quality of service as it grows. If it grows too fast and the quality falls, customers new and old will look for alternatives. Figure out what sustainable growth looks like for your company.
Quote of the Show:
- “At the end, our goal is to get good relationships between customers, brokers, and drivers too” - Miguel Lopez
- Kevin Gonzalez - MIK Freight Logistics Coordinator
Ways to Tune In