Our episode guest is Scott Miller, Special Advisor on Thought Leadership for the Franklin Covey Company and host of their weekly podcast series, On Leadership with Scott Miller. Scott is also the author of several books.
Five things you’ll learn from this episode:
- How to focus on the customer and not just your company's values, goals, missions, etc.
- Since everyone is an ambassador to your firm, you need individuals to understand where their value proposition is.
- Why you need to understand your company’s money-making model and educate your employees on it.
- How to share information and build relationships with your competition and/or companies in different industries.
- Why you should hire people who are smarter than you.
- “When you own your mess, you make it safe for others to own theirs. Doesn’t every leader wish their team owned all their mistakes and their messes?”— @ScottMiller
- “Donald Miller, the famous marketing mind that wrote many books, including “Building a StoryBrand,” says, “Most people’s messaging is like a cat chasing a rat in a wind chime factory.” To your point, no one cares why you’re in business or how many locations… when it’s time to expand with you, they might care. But that’s not part of why they’re hiring you.” — @ScottMiller
- “Everybody is an ambassador for your brand; they should be trained and they should be advised of the responsibility of how they are a brand ambassador for your company. No matter how large or how small.” — @ScottMiller
- “Everybody’s in sales. Whether your title says it or not.” — @ScottMiller
- “Great public relations and marketing people have an abundance mentality, not a scarcity mentality.” — @ScottMiller
- “Tim Ferriss (@tferriss) says, “Delegate, automate…” excuse me, “Eliminate, delegate, automate.” And then I add to that, and then verify, right? Verify it’s actually being done.” — @JasonMudd9
- “Never stop reading ‘cause it will absolutely build your ability to think and reduce your thoughts to writing. Writing is still such a valuable competency in business.” — @ScottMiller
If you enjoyed this episode, would you please share it with others and leave us a review?
Guest’s contact info and resources:
- On Top of PR is produced by Axia Public Relations, named by Forbes as one of America’s Best PR Agencies. Axia is an expert PR firm for national brands.
- On Top of PR is sponsored by ReviewMaxer, the platform for monitoring, improving, and promoting online customer reviews.
About Jason Mudd:Support the show
On Top of PR host, Jason Mudd, is a trusted adviser and dynamic strategist for some of America’s most admired brands and fastest-growing companies. Since 1994, he’s worked with American Airlines, Budweiser, Dave & Buster’s, H&R Block, Hilton, HP, Miller Lite, New York Life, Pizza Hut, Southern Comfort, and Verizon. He founded Axia Public Relations in July 2002. Forbes named Axia as one of America’s Best PR Agencies.