McKale Montgomery is an Assistant Professor at Oklahoma State University, as well as a nutritional science researcher. She specializes in iron, specifically how changes in cellular iron affect disease progression. She's also a competitive marathon runner. In this episode, we chat about:
- How she started running and her journey to the Olympic Trials
- How she balances mom-ing (yes, it’s a verb), work, and competitive running
- Why iron is her favorite nutrient
- Do runners lose more iron than everyday people? How common is foot strike hemolysis?
- What about plant-based athletes— is it inevitable that they will be iron deficient?
- Has research found a link between iron and cognitive decline?
- The relevance of iron in cancer and chemotherapy
Read the Runner's World article about McKale here! And follow her on Twitter
Join the Greenletes Facebook Group
📕: Planted Performance