Nov 23 2022
7. Speaking publicly about suicide - ft. Chris O'Connell
What’s the best way to challenge the stigma associated with suicidality? Perhaps it’s through more of us sharing our stories.
Today’s guest, Chris O’Connell, has been very vocal on LinkedIn about his experiences - including multiple suicide attempts – to help spread awareness to his network of 70k connections.
In this candid conversation, Chris shares the thoughts and contributing factors leading to one of his attempts, his insights into how we can build stronger mental health, and practical advice about how leaders can support the mental health of their people.
· why Chris thinks it’s important to speak publicly about suicidality, and what the reaction has been like when he’s done this on social media
· misconceptions around suicidality, including the idea that it is selfish
· practical ideas for supporting your own wellbeing and prioritising yourself, as well as supporting others
· the importance of cultivating compassion and self-love
· why we shouldn’t assume that people with all the trappings of success have good mental health
· the importance of being able to spend time with yourself, and why this is good for your wellbeing
DISCLAIMERS AND CONTENT WARNINGS
SUICIDE – Chris goes into some detail about his suicidal feelings and suicide attempt, so please do not listen if you are in a vulnerable headspace today. Additionally, the slur ‘committed suicide’ is used, which we'll be discuss in the intro. Professional organisations are linked at the bottom of the show notes if you’d like any support.
ABOUT CHRIS O’CONNELL
Chris is an impressive individual whichever way you look at it! He’s a £25 million Recruitment business owner turned purpose-driven NED.
Having exited his last business, he now coaches leaders on how to build purpose-led businesses that perform, focusing on best process, vision execution, and harmonising your life with your work.
He's also an outspoken advocate of Mental health, mindset and self care, proud dad to three incredible boys and not afraid to tell you how it is!
To get to know Chris better, listen to his podcast The Purpose-Led Leadership Podcast, or follow him on Instagram: @chrisoconnellcoach
Solving Suicide is brought to you by Dark Coffee – development coaching to get your work and wellbeing working better together so you can feel like a badass in business.
Host: Alice Lyons from Dark Coffee
Music: ‘Solving Suicide’ by Steve Leggett
If you have any questions or would like to give us any feedback, you can email Alice at firstname.lastname@example.org
To apply to be on the show, just fill in this form.
SUICIDE SUPPORT ORGANISATIONS (UK)
Samaritans: Confidential suicide discussion and support. Free helpline available round the clock. Text - 116123. Call - 08457 909090 Email - email@example.com. Website - www.samaritans.org