Nov 23 2022
Becoming an International Educator w/ Dr. Dana Watts & AMISA (America International Schools in the Americas)
Today, Dereck Rhoads, the director of AMISA, and Dr. Dana Watts, Director of Learning, Research, & Outreach at ISS, join us on the show.
In the session, we briefly overview the different types of international schools, non-profit schools as the most prevalent type of international schools, the set criteria for AMISA member schools, and the importance of accreditation in determining legit schools. Moreover, we discuss recruiting tips and tricks from networking, being open to locations, having a QR code on your business card that connects to your CV, and being open-minded to the opportunities around you.
Ultimately, we discuss the recruiting and interview process, possible interview questions, tiers in international schools, the value of working overseas, and the benefits of working in the AMISA region.
[00:26] About Dana Watts
[00:35] Introducing Dereck, the director of AMISA
[01:31] Dana’s career journey
[04:21] A brief overview of the types of international schools
[08:30] Non-profit international schools
[09:51] Criteria for AMISA member schools
[13:35] Recruiting tips and tricks
[21:33] The interview process & what questions to expect
[26:39] The value of working overseas
[31:11] Certifications with regard to teaching overseas
[37:14] What’s unique about AMISA, and why would one prefer to teach in the region
[40:39] Do AMISA have schools in Africa
To connect with Dereck
● LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/dhrhoads/
● Website: https://dereckrhoads.com/
● Register for the upcoming ISS & AMISA Atlanta, GA job fair-https://recruit.iss.edu/login
● Check out AMISA at https://www.amisa.us/
● Head over to iss.edu/events to see future PD's that ISS is offering for the SY 22-23.
● Join the Diversity Collaborative platform-https://info.iss.edu/sign-up-diversity-collaborative